Welsh taxi firm says it doesn’t want “P*kis” working for it

A Welsh taxi firm posted on Facebook that it didn’t “want Pakistanis” driving for it.

The owner of Cardy Cabs in Port Talbot said he won’t employ “foreign drivers,” claiming customers do not like them.

Janet Cardy posted an advertisement for new drivers on Facebook. Later, when she was engaging with some of the responses she got, Mrs Cardy wrote: “No p***s.”

Instead she told the applicant to try another firm who have “all foreign drivers.” She added: “They like dark ones.”

The Facebook post has since been deleted but a screenshot was taken and has been widely shared since.

In one response Mrs Cardy wrote: “I got one working with me now I get on with him but the customers moan a bit. I have had a lot of them they good work but they could say don’t send him.”

Mrs Cardy’s husband, firm owner Howard Cardy said the fallout had been blown out of proportion. Mr Cardy said he often picks up the taxi service’s phone and claimed his customers tell him: “Do not send a p***.”

“It is something older people used to say – they do not like them,” he added. “They prefer to get in other drivers’ cars. My experience is that most customers prefer white, British drivers.

We had a foreign driver before, from Croatia, but people didn’t like him because of his accent. I am reluctant to employ foreign drivers but the one I have is good as gold.”

Mr Cardy said they were not racist, adding in the past they had employed two men from Bangladesh.

He said the drivers were good but the problem were his customers, who he claimed they said not to send them.

South Wales Police has said the local neighbourhood policing and community safety team were aware of the posts and were reviewing the matter. A spokeswoman said: “People are reminded that every social media site has terms of use and to adhere to these.”

A Neath Port Talbot Council spokesman said: “The council condemns the unacceptable racist and discriminatory comments made as part of this social media post.

“The individual in question does not hold any licences with this authority, hence we are unable to take formal action. We have however been in discussions with the Police Licensing Officer (of South Wales Police), who has advised that any person wishing to make a complaint should do so by calling 101.”

Add your comments below