Sheffield’s Lord Mayor Magid Magid took to Facebook to advise the youth as he announced that he will be standing down at the local elections in May.
The following piece of advice was posted on Mayor Magid’s Facebook page:
“As my tenure as Lord Mayor draws closer to an end (May 15th), I would have deeply regretted not writing directly to young people.
“Because let me tell you something – you are the hope shining through in a city, a country, a world largely and repeatedly failed by most of its influential adults.
“Every school invitation, every selfie or cheery shout out on the street, every heartfelt message on social media. Whether you graced the Town Hall with your visits or if we stood shoulder to shoulder, demanding urgent change, for the sake of your future and the future of our planet.
“You should know that you are now and forever my real inspiration, my real fuel to keep fighting for a better world, without fear, without holding back. Your passion empowers us, and your sense of priorities and urgency keep us in check. I am, and will be, eternally grateful.
“I’m not a hero or perfect in any way. But I hope I’ve used this platform well enough to get you thinking more critically about politics, and how it affects everything and everyone!
“I may not be Lord Mayor for much longer, but the battle to save the world will not end anytime soon. If you agree, then be kind enough to pledge that you’ll never forget these FIVE C’s:
- This should be at the heart of everything we do. Don’t let anybody ever tell you it’s weak to show emotion, or to care. We are our strongest when we do care. And when we care, we are motivated to act, to fight fear with hope, to try remedy injustices and speak truth to power!
- Never let anybody tell you you’re not good enough, not old or ‘mature’ enough, not smart enough. Challenge! Try! Don’t be afraid to do things differently. Not only will you lead the way and break down barriers, but courage is contagious! You’ll inspire everyone around you too!
- We all aspire to live in a safer, fairer, more equal society. One that is diverse and yet inclusive, one that shares basic common values and yet is tolerant of others. We live in a world that’s constantly trying to drive us apart – let’s fight back, and work to bring people together!
- The world can be a beautiful place. Love, good company, delicious food, great music, the breath-taking natural world. But it isn’t always like that. Things can get difficult, and painfully so. All we can do is try to adopt healthy coping mechanisms and always have each others’ backs! Always!
- Nothing you see in the system you were born into and are growing up in is natural. Someone decided things should be that way – never forget this. You are great enough to bring about the change you think is necessary, no matter how big, to make the world a better place!
“That’s a reminder for myself first and foremost, but I hope there’s something in there for each of you.
“From my end, I make a sincere pledge to fight by your side, to carry you with me wherever I go and in every decision I make, with your best interests at heart.
“Yours lovingly forever and always,
“The Youngest-ever Lord Mayor of Sheffield