Uzbek man “admits” carrying out deadly Stockholm lorry attack

The main suspect in the Stockholm lorry attack has admitted to carrying out the crime, his defence lawyer said.

Four people died in Friday’s crash – two Swedes, a Belgian and a British man. Some 15 people were also injured, many seriously.

On Saturday, police confirmed the suspect was a 39-year-old man from Uzbekistan, Rakhmat Akilov.

Akilov was identified as a man police were “particularly interested in” after being arrested “in the vicinity” of the crash site, Stockholm police’s Jan Evensson confirmed.

He added that the man was spotted by a police patrol in Marsta, a northern Stockholm suburb close to the city’s international airport, and was in a police photo released earlier Friday wearing a greenish hood at the top of an escalator.

Police have revealed the suspect was an asylum seeker who applied for residency in Sweden in 2014 but had his application rejected in June last year.

Authorities said the man was wanted in relation to a deportation order and that he had displayed “sympathies” for terror groups, including ISIS.

Shares 0

Add your comments below

Powered by Facebook Comments