Man guilty of beheading girlfriend

Aras Hussein

A man who beheaded his teenage girlfriend with a kitchen knife has been found guilty of her murder.

Pizza delivery driver Aras Hussein decapitated 18-year-old student Reema Ramzan at his flat in Sheffield in June before stabbing himself in the chest.

The 21-year-old was jailed for life at Sheffield Crown Court and ordered to serve a minimum term of 20 years. Hussein admitted killing Miss Ramzan, but he denied murder on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

The body of Miss Ramzan was discovered in the kitchen of Hussein’s flat in Herries Road on 4 June. Police had been called to the address after a passer-by saw Hussein walking in the road naked and covered in blood.

Prosecutor Graham Reeds QC told the jury Miss Ramzan was still alive as the defendant started to sever her head and “severe force” would have been required.

The trial heard a neighbour had reported hearing a scream from Hussein’s flat on the day of the killing.

Mr Reeds told the jury: “No-one can know what happened in that room immediately before the killing and what led to it.”

Miss Ramzan was studying health and social care at college and lived with her family.

Reema Ramzan died on June 4
Reema Ramzan died on June 4

During the trial, the court heard her family disapproved of the couple’s relationship. The jury was told police got involved on one occasion when Hussein threatened to show the family sexual pictures he had taken of her. And her brother Sohail had argued with Hussein when he spotted red marks around Miss Ramzan’s neck.

Miss Ramzan had gone to Hussein’s flat on the day she died without her family’s knowledge, taking her passport and a large amount of money with her, the court heard.

After Hussein was found naked in the street he asked paramedics: “Why are you helping me? I’ve murdered someone.” He later told them: “I don’t know why I did it.”

When Hussein was taken to the Northern General Hospital for treatment he attacked staff trying to help him, including a surgeon, an anaesthetist and police officers.

The mental health of Hussein had been an ongoing factor in the case following his transfer from prison to Rampton Secure Hospital in north Nottinghamshire last July.

In a statement, the victim’s family said: “Words cannot describe the pain we feel not having her here.

“Reema was not just a beautiful girl to look at, she was a beautiful girl inside; so kind and helpful, she was always smiling and we loved her so much. As a family we are absolutely devastated and still cannot believe this has happened.”

Add your comments below

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments