Saudi Arabia pays for families of Christchurch attack victims to attend Hajj

Around 200 family members of victims of the New Zealand mosque terror attacks have arrived in Saudi Arabia to perform Hajj.

King Salman last month declared that the families of the attack on two mosques that killed 51 people would be hosted for this year’s pilgrimage.

Their reception at Jeddah airport last Friday was attended by New Zealand’s ambassador to the Kingdom James Monro and other officials.

Monro said the invitation from King Salman was an “exceptionally noble gesture.” “This move was highly appreciated by the people of New Zealand, not only by the visiting pilgrims,” he said.

The attack on worshippers at Al-Noor Mosque and the Linwood Islamic Center in Christchurch during Friday prayers in March sparked a global outcry. Brenton Tarrant, a 28-year-old Australian white supremacist, also wounded 49 people when he opened fire on the mosques. His trial is due to begin next year.

About 6,000 pilgrims will perform hajj this year as part of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques’ guests program for Hajj and Umrah, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

King Salman has issued directives to host 2,000 family members of Yemeni soldiers, 1,000 pilgrims from Sudan, 200 family members of the victims of the terrorist attacks in Christchurch, and 1,000 family members of Palestinians killed by Israeli forces.

The total number of beneficiaries of the program since its inauguration has reached 53,747 pilgrims from around the world.

Islamic Affairs Minister Sheikh Abdullatif Al-Asheikh said that hosting the families during the hajj season was part of Saudi Arabia’s efforts to “confront and defeat terrorism” in all its forms.

Add your comments below