The number of Muslim MPs has increased to 14 from the unexpected surge of Labour seats under the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn.
The high turnout of voters in this general election resulted in 12 Muslim Labour MPs being elected from nine in the 2015 General Election.
The two Muslim Conservative MPs retained their seats with increased majorities.
The first Muslim Liberal Democrat MP is yet to materialise.
In Scotland, the only Muslim MP, Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh, lost her seat in light of a significant drop in support for the SNP.
List of Muslim MPs
- Afzal Khan – Labour – Manchester Gorton (newly elected)
- Faisal Rashid – Labour – Warrington South (newly elected)
- Imran Hussain – Labour – Bradford South
- Khalid Mahmood – Labour – Birmingham Perry Barr
- Mohammed Yasin – Labour – Bedford & Kempston (newly elected)
- Naz Shah – Labour – Bradford West
- Rosena Allin-Khan – Labour – Tooting
- Rupa Huq – Labour – Ealing Central & Acton
- Rushanara Ali – Labour – Bethnal Green & Bow
- Shabana Mahmood – Labour – Birmingham Ladypool
- Tulip Siddiq – Labour – Hampstead & Kilburn
- Yasmin Qureshi – Labour – Bolton South
- Nusrat Ghani – Conservative – Wealdon
- Rehman Chisti – Conservative – Gillingham & Rainham
Conservative MP for Bromsgrove, Sajid Javid, is commonly assumed to be a Muslim, but in his own words he said: “My own family’s heritage is Muslim. Myself and my four brothers were brought up to believe in God, but I do not practise any religion. My wife is a practising Christian and the only religion practised in my house is Christianity.
“I think we should recognise that Christianity is the religion of our country.”