Kuwait first country to reject Egypt’s call to blacklist Muslim Brotherhood

Egyptian foreign minister, Nabeel Fahmi had called for the international community to support Egypt in its war against "terrorism".

The government of Kuwait has refused to consider the Muslim Brotherhood a “terrorist organisation”, saying that this is considered an internal “Egyptian issue”.

Observers considered Kuwait’s decision as a clear rejection of the military backed interim government in Egypt. Their decision was supported by other Arab states.

Head of the Media and Information Committee in the Kuwaiti interior ministry Colonel Adel al-Hashash said: “Kuwait has nothing to do with considering the Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist organisation.”

AFP reported on Saturday morning that the Egyptian foreign minister Nabeel Fahmi had called for the international community to support Egypt in its war against “terrorism”. It said that by the word “terrorism” Fahmi was referring to the Muslim Brotherhood.

The French news agency reported Fahmi saying in New York: “I am convinced that the international community, which has rejected terrorism for a long time, will support Egyptian people in their fight against terrorism and its supporters.”

He added: “It [the international community] will not accept any attempt to justify terrorism or keep silent towards it.”

Muslim Brotherhood – “Terrorist group”

The Egyptian government blamed the MB for a deadly attack on a police HQ earlier this week in Mansoura, which killed 16 people and wounded more than 100.

Deputy Prime Minister Hossam Eissa publicised the move, which will give the authorities more jurisdiction to hunt down the MB.

He said that anyone who is affiliated to the group, financed it or promoted its activities would face severe punishment.

The decision was made in response to a suicide bombing of a police headquarters in Mansoura, in the Nile Delta, which killed 16 people and wounded more than 100 on Tuesday.

Mr Eissa said: “Egypt was horrified from north to south by the hideous crime committed by the Muslim Brotherhood group. This was in context of dangerous escalation to violence against Egypt and Egyptians and a clear declaration by the Muslim Brotherhood group that it still knows nothing but violence.

“It’s not possible for Egypt the state nor Egypt the people to submit to the Muslim Brotherhood terrorism.”

He added that Egypt would notify Arab countries who had signed a 1998 anti-terrorism treaty of the decision.

The MB has denied any involvement in Tuesday’s attack, and an Al-Qaeda linked group has allegedly claimed responsibility.

Add your comments below