A short video produced by Community Legal Education explaining what powers the UK government has to enforce cremation in light of the coronavirus pandemic.
The short explainer video covers:
- The government’s power to force cremations contained under S.58 Sch 28 of the Coronavirus Act.
- What circumstances the power may be used according to explanatory notes of the Bill.
- The ministers assurances that the power would not be used.
- Concerns raised amongst others including Parliamentarians that the power remained in the Bill prior to it being passed.
- The overriding government power over a deceased religion or wishes against cremation.
- The consequences of the power on funeral directors.
- The importance of having an Islamic will.