American theologian Shaykh Yasir Qadhi delivers a lecture presenting a Sunni version of the Karbala events.
Dr Qadhi makes the following points:
1. Sunnis love Imam Hussain and the family of the Prophet (saw) whom they consider the best of families.
2. There should be no hatred or violence between Sunni and Shia, just academic discussion.
3. Imam Hassan had more claim to the khilafa than Muawiya, although Imam Hassan saved the blood of the Ummah by standing down.
4. We should not cast aspertions on the character of Muawiya because he was a sahabi and perhaps his political decisions did in fact save Muslim blood.
5. Sunnis believe Imam Hussain had more right to Islamic leadership than Yazeed.
6. However, events were not black and white. Perhaps it was not in the best interests of the Ummah to oppose Yazeed’s rule and thus incite a war.
7. The blood of Hussain is primarily on the hands of the people of Kufa, but also on the hands of the Kufan general Ibn Ziyad and Yazeed himself.
8. The events of Karbala are an historical matter, not a theological matter.
9. Most Sunnis consider Yazeed a tyrant.
As you’re here…
5Pillars have one humble request from you…
Thousands of Muslims around the world visit our website for news every day. Due to the unfortunate reality of covering Muslim-related news in a heightened Islamophobic environment, our advertising and fundraising revenues have decreased significantly.
5Pillars is editorially and financially independent, with no sectarian or political allegiance to any particular group or movement. Our journalism has been exclusively grassroots focussed and our sole purpose is to defend Islam and Muslims in the media.
This makes us unique in comparison to other online Muslim media outlets who are neither independently regulated by a reputable body nor are they managed by qualified journalists.
Our journalism takes time, money and effort to deliver. But we do it because we believe we have a duty to Allah (swt).
You may not agree or like everything we publish. However, which other Muslim news site that is run by experienced journalists will take on the responsibility of being a shield for Islam and Muslims in the media?
If you follow 5Pillars, and you understand its importance in today’s climate, then please support us for as little as £5 a month, it only takes a minute to make a donation. Jazakallah khayran.
Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:“The best deeds are those done regularly, even if they are small.” [Ibn Mājah]
Add your comments below