Doctor struck off by court after being convicted over six-year-old boy’s death

[Left to right] Jack Adcock and Dr Hadiza Bawa-Garba

A doctor who was found guilty of gross negligence and manslaughter over the death of a six-year-old boy has been struck off by the High Court.

Jack Adcock, who had a heart condition, died of sepsis at Leicester Royal Infirmary in 2011, hours after being admitted with sickness and vomiting.

Dr Hadiza Bawa-Garba was suspended from the medical register for 12 months last June.

But she has now been struck off following a High Court appeal.

The appeal was submitted by the General Medical Council (GMC).

The GMC asked two judges to quash that decision – and give a direction of erasure from the medical register – arguing it was “not sufficient” to protect the public or maintain public confidence in the medical profession.

Announcing their decision in London on yesterday, Lord Justice Gross and Mr Justice Ouseley ruled in the GMC’s favour.

Sign up for regular updates straight to your inbox

Subscribe to our newsletter and stay updated on the latest news and updates from around the Muslim world!

After a 2015 trial at Nottingham Crown Court, Dr Bawa-Garba was sentenced to 24 months in prison suspended for two years.

Jack’s mother, Nicola, said: “We are absolutely elated with the decision. It’s what we wanted.

“We don’t want any other family or child to be put in the same situation.

“She should have been struck off in the first place – it shouldn’t have come to this.

“I know we’ll never get Jack back but we have got justice for our little boy.”

When Jack, from Glen Parva, Leicestershire, was admitted to the hospital in February 2011, his sepsis went undiagnosed and led to him suffering a cardiac arrest.

The 2015 trial at Nottingham Crown Court heard Dr Bawa-Garba, an experienced paediatrician, committed a “catalogue” of errors, including missing signs of his infection and mistakenly thinking Jack was under a do-not-resuscitate order.

The prosecution said Jack, who had Down’s Syndrome, died after a series of failings by medical staff, including Dr Bawa-Garba’s “failure to discharge her duty” as the responsible doctor.


Add your comments below

Previous articleFormer Swansea Imam cleared of sexually assaulting children
Next articleSaudi-owned Al Arabiya channel fined £120,000 for Bahraini torture interview