A Palestinian NGO has confirmed that Egyptian authorities stopped an Algerian aid convoy from entering Gaza at the Rafah Crossing last Friday.
The NGO said: “The Egyptian decision to prevent the entry of the Algerian humanitarian convoy to Gaza is sad and unfortunate and does not reflect the positive spirit that recently dominated relations.”
According to a number of Palestinian sources, the Algerian aid convoy was not allowed entry despite possessing all the necessary documents.
The Palestinian NGO said that the humanitarian convoy was carrying electric generators, medical disposals, medicine and other vital equipment needed for Gaza’s hospitals.
Sheikh Yahya Sari who is the head of the relief department of the Algerian Scholar’s Association (ASA) announced the launch of the convoy last Tuesday.
He stated that it included 14 truckloads of aid and five members from the ASA’s relief department.
Shaykh Sari added that they possessed all the necessary documents and an agreement from the Egyptian authorities to deliver the aid to the Gaza Strip.
The Egyptian army opened the Rafah crossing from Monday to Thursday on both sides for patients and pilgrims seeking treatment abroad.
The Rafah Crossing is the main Gaza opening to the world but has been completely closed since July 2013.
On a few occasions, the crossing was opened for a few days to allow hundreds of stranded Gazans to travel in and out.
Prior to last week’s opening, the crossing last opened in March.