A respected and well known mosque worker from Bradford, who was accused of sexually molesting two young boys, has been cleared of all allegations.
The trial of Yasir Muhammed Hafiz, who worked at the Madrassah Nur Qur’an mosque, in Parkside Road, West Bowling, Bradford, collapsed in August 2015 after concerns over an interpreter’s translation of the evidence.
Mr Hafiz, 31, of Daleside Walk, West Bowling, had pleaded not guilty to nine charges of sexually assaulting a child under 13, and seven of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.
Prosecutor Michael Collins had alleged at Bradford Crown Court that Mr Hafiz had sexually abused two boys, aged nine and 12, by hugging and tickling them in a sexual manner, kissing one of them and putting their hands on his private parts.
Mr Hafiz denied to police any sexual misconduct and told the jury the allegations were lies.
Judge Jonathan Rose discharged the jury because misinterpretation of the defendant’s evidence had made the trial unfair.
The judge told the jury: “This is a man of good character, facing very serious charges. I cannot take a risk with the reputation and liberty of a man if there is something not right about the evidence.”
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay updated on the latest news and updates from around the Muslim world!
Judge Rose fixed a provisional date this month for a retrial.
But the case was withdrawn at a brief hearing at Bradford Crown Court last week.
A court spokesman said the prosecution had offered no evidence and Judge Peter Benson entered not guilty verdicts on all charges.
A Crown Prosecution Service spokesman said on Wednesday 10 February: “The CPS decided to stop the case as the victim’s family no longer supported the prosecution, and the case could not proceed without their evidence. Although we have an option to issue a witness summons to compel attendance, in this case we decided that this course of action was inappropriate.”